Asparagus risotto with lemon is an excellent recipe in which fresh and tasty green asparagus can be perfectly used.
Asparagus, asparagus and again asparagus!
The asparagus season is in full swing. At least in Germany, where I live. And here you can find it almost everywhere. The whole country is completely crazy about asparagus. Green or white, it doesn’t matter. Germans love their asparagus.
Of course, both varieties are tasty, but I especially like the green one. I could eat it all the time. The freshness and flavor of fresh asparagus are fantastic.
That’s why I always like to try new and interesting recipes with asparagus. This Asparagus wrapped with ham and cheese did not disappoint at all and I certainly did not do it for the last time during this season.
You will definitely love this best asparagus risotto. It is a very simple recipe with just a few ingredients, while this amazing vegetable stands out very well.
How to make creamy asparagus risotto
If you have not missed the recipe for Italian mushroom risotto, you already know the technique. It is necessary to keep the ratio between rice and broth. Do not forget to mix regularly and gradually add the broth. The result is an excellent consistency and a creamy risotto.
If you want vegetarian asparagus risotto, have a vegetable broth ready. If you don’t care and you like chicken broth, you can definitely use it.
To prepare asparagus, snap off the wooden ends on one side and cut off the flowery ends on the other side. The wooden ends do not go into this risotto, but you can use them, for example, in soups.
However, don’t forget the tasty florets, which you will add to the risotto later. They will remain pretty fresh and crunchy.
What is the best rice for risotto?
I always prefer arborio rice. It is very tasty and especially easily accessible. If you really want the best risotto, never use some basic rice. The more common types of rice like jasmine or basmati do not contain as much starch.
This is one of the essentials for preparing the perfect risotto. Besides that, you need to use parmesan cheese. And try to get the original stuff – Parmigiano Reggiano. This asparagus risotto contains only a few components, so try to use quality ingredients.
If you buy whole parmesan, you will probably have some left for other delicious recipes. You can also use it, for example, with this excellent Spaghetti Carbonara recipe.
The recipe for asparagus risotto will take you about half an hour. That’s why it’s perfect for a quick dinner during a busy week.Print
Healthy Asparagus Risotto with Lemon
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
Asparagus risotto with lemon is the perfect recipe for every day. The freshness and amazing taste of asparagus make this vegetarian asparagus risotto truly exceptional.
- 300g fresh green asparagus
- 1 1/2 cup (230g) arborio rice
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 5 cups (1 L) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (70g) parmesan
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp of white pepper
- Rinse the asparagus and remove the woody ends. Cut off the flowery ends from the other side. But don’t throw them away! You will use them later.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot or a large pan and add the chopped onion. Sautée for a couple of minutes and then add the finely chopped garlic and asparagus.
- Season with white pepper and oregano. Stir and add the rice. When the rice starts sticking to the bottom of the pan after about a minute, add butter and some lemon juice (and/or white wine).
- Now gradually add the vegetable broth heated in a separate pot. Squeeze a little bit of lemon juice into your risotto. Each time the rice absorbs the broth, add another ladle. Risotto should always be a little liquidy and runny when cooking.
- Remember to mix everything well repeatedly. After about 15 minutes of adding the broth and stirring, the risotto should be almost done (al dente). Add your asparagus florets when almost finished.
- Finally, add freshly grated Parmesan cheese and mix well. Serve with a knob of butter and extra cheese.
Never wash the risotto rice. The presence of starch is very important for creamy risotto.
Always use a wooden spoon when cooking risotto.
You do not need to add any salt, as ingredients such as broth and parmesan are quite salty.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 4 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 519
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 1050mg
- Fat: 22,9g
- Saturated Fat: 10.5g
- Carbohydrates: 57.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 17.1g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
Keywords: asparagus risotto with lemon, vegetarian asparagus risotto, recipe for asparagus risotto, creamy asparagus risotto
Two weeks ago i made mushroom risotto. Everybody liked it…so I’m gonna try this one as well
That’s nice. Let me know which one is better 🙂
I love it! Asparagus is my favorite vegetable, too. And it’s really amazing in the risotto like this. It’s fresh, flavorful. Perfect recipe!
Thank you very much 🙂 Asparagus is an amazing vegetable indeed.
Sounds delicious! Now I know what I’m gonna cook tomorrow. Thumbs up!
Let me know how did it go 😉
Thanks a lot Cheyenne!
Sounds delicious! Another perfect recipe during the asparagus time 🙂
Thanks a lot Cheyenne!
Very nice recipe. This is new one for me. I will try it. Greetings from Turkey.
Thank you very much. You will definitely like it!