When was the last time you had perfect borscht? Was it in a restaurant or do you make tasty borscht at home? If not, you definitely should. Best right now. Or over the weekend, because first, you have to go to the store for beets and other necessary vegetables.
I’m always looking forward to cooking something from beets. But I admit that it is not very often. And that’s quite a shame because beets are very healthy and tasty vegetables. And in which recipe is beet more significant than in borscht?
If you will have some beets left, try to make these amazing roasted beets and potatoes with goat cheese.
Recipe for traditional borscht
Of course, there is not just one recipe. The mere fact that borscht is a traditional and popular soup in several countries of Eastern Europe brings many variations. Every Russian or Ukrainian babushka has her tips and mysterious tricks for the best borscht.
The recipe for borscht can differ most in terms of whether it contains meat or not. Since this soup is often eaten on cold days, it is certainly beneficial if it satisfies the whole family. In addition to various types of vegetables, beef or pork also helps.
Therefore, I am happy to prepare the decent beef broth, which serves as a basis for excellent borscht. Which meat you choose is up to you. I use beef shank and beef ribs.
Simply pour cold water over the beef and vegetables. You also don’t have to think much about vegetables. However, onions, carrots, celery, parsley root, leeks, and garlic should not be missing. Finally, add 15 pieces of black pepper and two bay leaves.
It’s good to let it all cook for about three hours. During cooking, do not forget to remove the foam created on the surface. In the end, just strain the broth through a sieve. You can cut the soft meat later and add it to your borscht.
What vegetables to use?
Use more beets rather than too little. The more beets, the nicer the color of the soup. You can cut the beets into cubes or thinner slices, or shred them. The same goes for cabbage, which certainly cannot be missing in borscht either.
Don’t forget about potatoes. New potatoes are suitable for this recipe. Peel them and cut them into smaller cubes. In addition, prepare carrots, onions, and garlic. Someone likes to add beans as well.
I always like to season borscht with a pinch of Homemade Chinese five spice that will combine and highlight all the delicious flavors.
And last but not least, there is one condition. Be sure to serve borscht with sour cream! Bon appetite.Print
Traditional Beef Borscht Soup Recipe
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Diet: Low Calorie
- 3 medium-sized beets (peeled)
- 9 cups beef broth (with meat)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or butter
- 2 carrots
- 1 large onion
- ½ medium head cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 3 larger potatoes (cubed)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ Chinese five spice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Bunch of fresh dill and/or parsley
- Sour cream to taste
- First of all, prepare a good beef broth. You may still have one in the freezer. If not, and you want to make quick borscht during the week, you can use the store-bought one. But don’t tell anyone.
- Pour cold water over the beef and vegetables (onion, carrot, celery, parsley root, leek, garlic). Add the whole pepper, bay leaf and bring to a boil. Let cook for at least two and a half hours. Occasionally remove the foam from the surface. Finally, strain the broth through a sieve.
- If you have beef broth ready, heat oil or butter in a larger pan. Add the finely chopped onion and carrots and then one garlic.
- After a few minutes, add the tomato purée, the beets (cut into thinner rectangles), ground cumin, and bay leaf. Cook for a few minutes, stir and pour in the beef broth.
- Season the soup well with salt and pepper and add a little bit of Chinese five spice. Cover with a lid and let it gently simmer at a lower temperature for about 40 minutes.
- After about 40 minutes, add the diced potatoes and the shredded meat from beef broth. When the potatoes start to get softer, add the finely sliced cabbage and parsley. Stir and cook for a few more minutes.
- Check for seasoning. Serve with sour cream and fresh dill. You can also enjoy the borscht with a piece of fresh bread.
You can sautee the vegetables in a pan before adding them to a pot.
Sour cream! Do not forget to serve with sour cream!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Ukrainian
- Serving Size: 10 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 190
- Sugar: 6.9g
- Sodium: 854mg
- Fat: 5,8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrates: 28.1g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
Keywords: traditional borscht, authentic borscht recipe, ukrainian soup
Wow it looks delicious!
Thank you very much!
I haven‘t eaten borscht for a long time. I will definitely try the recipe!:)
Let me know how was it:)
This soup looks fantastic. Now I know what I’m gonna cook on saturday.
Thanks. And how was it?
Why I have never tried this soup? Borscht it is next weekend!
It tastes like from my russian babushka 😋