This Bavarian-style creamy potato soup is a very simple recipe that will delight everyone with its taste. I really like these hearty soups, which make me feel full. You don’t even need a second meal after that. Especially if you enjoy it with fresh rustic bread. This recipe works so well in winter!
Potato soup can be prepared in many ways, of course. Some make it sour, others add cream, pork sausage, Vienna sausage, and various spices. But one thing is common – potatoes.
The choice of potatoes is also important. Use Yukon gold or russet potatoes. Those are characterized by a semi-floury, fine to coarse structure. It goes well in soups, thanks to which your soup will be perfectly creamy.
How to make Bavarian-style potato soup?
The recipe for creamy potato soup should start with a combination of onions, celery, and carrots. These vegetables, called Mirepoix (which is just a fancy french word for it) make a great base for your soup.
Celery can be used as either a stalk or a root (celeriac). You can gently sautée these vegetables in butter or vegetable oil.
At this point, it is good to add some kind of meat product. Most of the time I choose bacon, which gives the soup an amazingly deep flavor. Since I didn’t have any bacon for this recipe, I used smoked sausage. Simply cut into small cubes and cook together with your onion, carrot, and celery.
And what broth to use?
If you want to go for the vegan version and forego bacon and sausage, then of course you want vegetable broth. But you can use it anyway. Chicken stock or beef stock is also very good. These give the potato soup a slightly deeper and stronger taste.
If you don’t have a homemade broth and you don’t want to make one from scratch, use bouillon cube. This will significantly reduce your cooking time.
After pouring the broth, add the spices and simmer at a low temperature for about 30 minutes. During this time, you can cook your Vienna sausages. They go very well with this Bavarian-style creamy potato soup.
However, if you would like to have some smoked sausage, gently sauté it in a pan and finally add it to each serving.
The softness of your potatoes shows you whether your soup is ready. Crush a potato with a wooden spoon on the edge of the pot and see if the soup is ready to be pureed.
Recipe for creamy potato soup, tips:
- You can leave the soup as it is or blend it up. I like creamy soups, so I always use a hand blender to blend this Bavarian-style potato soup into nice cream.
- After blending, you can add a little cream.
- Creamy potato soup can be served with any kind of sausage. I love it with Vienna sausages.
- Croutons are also a great choice for serving.
- You can choose between vegetable broth, chicken broth, or even beef broth. If you’re in a hurry and don’t have any in the freezer, you can use a bouillon cube too.
- It is important that the soup is salty enough. Potatoes absorb a lot of salt. You can adjust the salt content at the end of the cooking.