Chili con carne is a recipe that almost everyone knows. It is very tasty and easy to prepare. Try the best chili recipe with beans!
- 800 g ground beef
- 500 g beans
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 chili peppers (e.g. jalapeños)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of corn (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 500 ml beef broth (bouillon cube)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika powder (or smoked)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 25 g dark chocolate (70%)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- A handful of fresh coriander
- Sour cream
- First, remove the meat from the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before cooking. Dice the onion (doesn’t have to be too fine) and the bell pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a pot or dutch oven and add ground beef. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook at a high temperature to brown the meat nicely.
- The meat releases a lot of water and/or fat, so it can take up to 10 minutes to cook well. During this time, break up the ground beef with a wooden spoon so that no big pieces remain.
- When the beef has released most of its juice, move it to one side of the pot. On the other side, add some oil and add the chopped onion. Sautée for about two minutes and stir.
- Then add the crushed garlic, tomato purée, and ketchup. Season with oregano, sweet or smoked paprika, ground cumin, and ground cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add chopped chili and a can of tomatoes. Stir again and pour in the beef broth. Lower the temperature and simmer for about half an hour.
- After half an hour, add the diced red pepper, cover with a lid and continue to simmer.
- After about 20 minutes, add the beans and corn. Taste for salt, pepper, or oregano. Add dark chocolate and mix nicely.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and sour cream. Serve with rice or fresh rustic bread, for example.
If you can’t handle spicy food, remove the membrane and seeds from the chili pepper. Contrarily, if your chili con carne isn’t too spicy, feel free to add another chili pepper or finish with a chili sauce, e.g. Sriracha.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 8 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 7.6g
- Sodium: 795mg
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 23.4g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Protein: 37g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
Keywords: recipe chili con carne , the best chili recipe with beans, chili con carne easy recipe, the best chili recipe in the world, simple chili recipe with beans