The lasagna recipe will surely delight at every opportunity. Classic lasagna is a great meal for the whole family.
Lasagna and meat sauce
- 1,4 lb (650g) ground beef
- 0,7 lb (350g) Italian sausage
- 10–14 lasagna sheets
- 2 celery sticks (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped, optional)
- 1 large onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of red wine
- 3 or 4 cans of tomato sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1 tsp thyme (dried)
- Bunch of fresh basil
- 2 cups (180g) parmesan cheese
- 2 balls mozzarella cheese
- 7 tbsp (100g) butter
- 1/2 cup (75g) flour
- 3 cups (700ml) milk
- 1 cup (100g) parmesan cheese
- 1/4 fresh nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven and sautée the diced onion and celery. Add sausage and ground beef, cook and stir until meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Break the meat apart as it cooks. Add garlic, salt, black pepper, and Italian herb seasoning and pour the red wine in. Let evaporate.
- Add tomato sauce into the meat mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is extremely tender, for about 2 hours. When the sauce becomes too thick, add a little bit of water. Skim excess fat occasionally from the surface and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350° F and prepare your creamy béchamel sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add flour and stir well. Add milk (a little at a time) and stir, then add 3/4 cup (80g) of parmesan cheese. In with salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg. Keep whisking on low heat for about 8 minutes until thick.
- Get your casserole and start with a little bit of finished meat sauce underneath. Place lasagne sheets over the sauce. Cover with meat sauce again and béchamel sauce on top of that. Sprinkle with mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese. Repeat this step until full (you should spend all the ragu and bechamel sauce).
- Cover with aluminum foil and place into the oven for 40-50 minutes. Cook for the last 10 minutes uncovered to get a nice crisp.
- Let it rest at least for 20 minutes. The texture will get better. Enjoy!
You can change the bechamel sauce for a ricotta mixture. It’s a nice replacement.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 35 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 8 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 708
- Sugar: 10.6g
- Sodium: 1594mg
- Fat: 38.3g
- Saturated Fat: 18.4g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 33.3g
- Cholesterol: 50g
Keywords: classic lasagna, homemade lasagna