If you like beetroots, you have to try this amazing risotto with beets and goat cheese!
The combination of earthy beets and flavorful goat cheese is so unique. Together, these flavors create an excellent meal.
Some think beets are only for traditional beef borscht soup, but these delicious and versatile vegetables have so much more to offer! Beetroots are a vitamin-rich and delicious choice. Their sweet and earthy flavor brings out the best in this decadent and cheesy risotto!
What You Will Love About Risotto with Beets
- Easy steps
- Easy to find ingredients
- Great side dish or meatless main
Supplies You Will Need
- Two Medium Stock Pots – You will want one pot to cook the risotto in and one pot to warm the broth in.
- A Wooden Spoon – Stirring and scraping are key parts of risotto, so have the right tool on hand.
- A Grater – This recipe calls for grated beets, so a nice medium-gauge grater is just right.
- An Apron – Working with beets can make you look a bit criminal. Protect your clothing with an apron and even consider wearing gloves for your hands.
Ingredients for beetroot risotto
- Beetroot – Delectably sweet and earthy beets are the perfect seasonal addition to this recipe.
- Broth – Use vegetable broth to keep this vegetarian-friendly.
- Olive Oil and Butter – Extra Virgin Olive oil and butter work together to add a little richness and fat to this recipe.
- Onion – Finely chopped white onion adds a great savory flavor to this dish.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic adds a wonderful aroma and flavor to the toasted rice in this recipe.
- Arborio Rice – Arborio rice is the key to good risotto. Never wash your risotto rice.
- Red Wine – A nice dry red wine gives this grain dish a rich grapey flavor that cannot be resisted!
- Balsamic Vinegar – Adds acid and richness to the risotto.
- Goat Cheese – Goat cheese makes this recipe stand out with its tangy and creamy flavor. This cheesy addition adds a delightful body and flavor to the dish. If you can’t imagine risotto without parmesan or pecorino romano, feel free to use them in this recipe as well.
- Dill – Fresh dill adds a fresh herbaceous flavor to this dish that blends perfectly with beetroot and cheese.
How to Make Risotto with Beets
Risotto is all about technique. Here are a few tips to make your risotto creamy and rich!
- Start with arborio rice and do not wash it!
- Gently toast the rice before adding liquid to the rice.
- Always use hot broth. This helps the liquid incorporate into the starchy rice easily and without lumps.
- Wait to add the cheese until the very end. Shut off the heat then fold in the cheese to give the risotto awesome flavor and texture.
These steps work for virtually any risotto! Once you have mastered the basic steps of making risotto you can customize it with your favorite flavors.
If you are craving Italian mushroom risotto, get some fresh or dried mushrooms. If you’re an asparagus fan, you can’t miss this healthy asparagus risotto. And how about this amazing pumpkin risotto? Personalizing your risotto with local seasonal vegetables is a great way to eat and live mindfully and sustainably!
That is what makes this beetroot risotto so spectacular! Playing on the seasonal flavor of tasty beets makes a decadent and colorful dish you will want to eat again and again!Print