This make ahead German potato salad without mayo, also known as Bavarian or Viennese potato salad, is a fantastic side dish for many tasty dishes. You can enjoy it with schnitzel, sausage, or even on its own.
- 1.6 kg waxy potatoes (Red, new, or fingerling potatoes)
- 1/2 cucumber (ca. 200 g)
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons mustard (yellow or Dijon)
- 80 ml of apple cider vinegar
- 320 ml of vegetable broth
- 130 ml of sunflower oil
- 1/4 fresh nutmeg
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- A handful of fresh parsley
- First, cook the potatoes. Put them in a pot with the skin on, pour cold water, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the cucumber, then cut it in half and slice thinly. Transfer to a bowl and salt well to draw out the extra moisture.
- Now the dressing for potato salad. Heat some oil in a pan or pot and sauté a finely chopped onion. After two minutes, add the mustard, vinegar, and a pinch of sugar. Season with salt and pepper and mix.
- Then pour in the broth and stir again. Add the oil while whisking constantly. Whisking is important to keep the oil from separating from the liquid on the surface.
- Use a fork to check whether the potatoes are cooked. Then peel and cut into small pieces or slices and place in a large bowl (you can use a mandoline). The potatoes must still be relatively hot.
- Pour the prepared dressing into a bowl with sliced potatoes, add freshly grated nutmeg and mix gently. Cover with plastic wrap and let the salad rest at room temperature.
- During the resting, the potato salad steams and the potatoes absorb all the liquid. Therefore, the potatoes and dressing must be mixed warm.
- After about an hour, squeeze out the water from the sliced cucumber, add it to the potato salad and mix gently. Cover again with plastic wrap and let rest for at least another hour.
- Finally, taste for seasoning. Potatoes often ask for more salt and pepper. Then just add fresh parsley and serve.
It is best to let the potato salad rest for at least 2 to 3 hours (or overnight).
As for the broth, you can also use a store-bought one or bouillon cube. But of course, homemade broth is better. Maybe you are going to make a German potato salad without mayonnaise on Saturday when you’re making fresh chicken stock anyway. If you want a vegan version, use vegetable broth. Otherwise, a nice chicken broth is a good choice, which brings a slightly more intense taste.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: German
- Serving Size: 7 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 411
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Sodium: 178mg
- Fat: 18.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 41.5g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Make ahead German potato salad, German potato salad warm, what to serve with German potato salad, warm German potato salad, creamy German potato salad, German Kartoffelsalat, German potato salad without mayo vegan