If you’re craving a quick and easy dessert, you need to try this amazing recipe for Kaiserschmarrn! An excellent and tasty substitute for pancakes.
- 4 eggs
- 230 ml of milk
- 140 g of plain flour
- 3 to 5 tablespoons sugar (approx. 60 g)
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar (8 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- A handful of dried raisins (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- First, separate egg whites and egg yolks. Put the egg yolks, 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla sugar, and milk in a bowl. Start mixing, gradually adding flour. Mix to a creamy shape.
- In the second bowl, mix together the egg whites, remaining sugar, and a pinch of salt. Simply beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the stiff egg whites into the bowl with the batter until combined. But mix gently to keep the air in the batter. This makes the Kaiserschmarrn pretty fluffy at the end.
- Heat a large skillet (also suitable for the oven) over medium-high heat and melt the butter in it. Put the batter in a pan and let it cook for about two minutes.
- If you like raisins, you can add them now. If not, feel free to skip this step.
- After about two minutes, place the pan in the oven for 11 to 13 minutes. The beautiful golden color on the surface will tell you if the Kaiserschmarrn is ready.
- Then put the pan back on the stove and use the forks to shred the Austrian pancake into smaller pieces.
- In another pan, melt some butter and sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar. Let caramelize and add the shredded pancake. Mix to coat each piece nicely.
- Turn off the stove and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with apple sauce or some delicious jam.
If your skillet isn’t wide enough for all the batter, make two batches.
There are two kinds of people: those who hate raisins and those who love them. Whether you use these is up to you. When adding them, you can soak the raisins in rum (about an hour) or in orange or apple juice.
After you shred the Kaiserschmarrn, you can caramelize it with butter and sugar in the same pan if you have space in it.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Austrian
- Serving Size: 4 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 17.9g
- Sodium: 171mg
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9g
- Carbohydrates: 45.7g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Cholesterol: 185mg
Keywords: recipe for kaiserschmarrn, kaiserschmarrn rezept, German scrambled pancakes, austrian pancake