This potato gnocchi with bacon and sheep cheese recipe will pleasantly surprise you with its unique and amazing taste. You have to try this Slovak national dish!
- 750 g of potatoes
- 350 g all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 300 g of sheep milk cheese
- 250 g of bacon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of fresh chives (chopped)
- First, prepare the dough. Peel potatoes and grate them on a grater. Transfer grated potatoes to a larger bowl. Then add some flour, but not all at once. Add one egg and one teaspoon of salt.
- Start mixing with a wooden spoon and gradually add the rest of the flour until you get the desired consistency. Mix well.
- The dough should not be too thick, but not too runny either. Insert the wooden spoon into its center and it should stand for a while and not slide to the side immediately.
- In a frying pan, fry the diced bacon at medium-low heat until golden brown. In the meantime, bring salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- While adding the dough through a sieve with bigger holes for gnocchi, stir the gnocchi in the pot from time to time to keep them from sticking together. They are ready when they float to the surface, after about 5-8 minutes.
- If you don’t have a gnocchi strainer, you can use the traditional method. Place the dough on the board and gradually separate a small amount of dough (about 2 tsp) with a knife.
- When you drop a piece of dough into boiling water, dip a knife in the water so the dough won’t stick.
- After gnocchi are cooked, strain them and add them to a larger bowl with the sheep cheese. Mix well until the gnocchi are nicely coated with the cheese. Serve with fried bacon and fresh chopped chives.
I recommend using Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes. They usually have less moisture and you won’t need as much flour.
Guanciale or pancetta are perfect choices for this recipe!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Slovak
- Serving Size: 5 or 6 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 618
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 1920mg
- Fat: 23.5g
- Saturated Fat: 9.3g
- Carbohydrates: 65.2g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 35g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
Keywords: gnocchi with sheep cheese, cheesy potato gnocchi with bacon, Slovak national food, Slovak cuisine, creamy bacon gnocchi, recipes with potato gnocchi