Easy Shepherd’s Pie with ground beef is a wonderful recipe that everybody loves. The combination of juicy meat filling and cheesy mashed potatoes is absolutely delicious!
- 500 g of ground beef (or lamb)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 300 ml of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary
- 180 g peas (frozen)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Mashed potatoes topping:
- 1 kg of potatoes (Russet or Yukon golds)
- 3 tablespoons of butter (unsalted)
- 80 ml whole milk
- 100 g Parmesan (freshly grated)
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, boil the potatoes. Peel the potatoes, cut them into pieces, and place in a pot. Cover with cold water, add salt and bring to a boil. When the water starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it cook for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and fry at high temperature for approx. 7 minutes. Stir occasionally and break the meat apart with a wooden spoon.
- When the meat is golden brown, add finely chopped onions, crushed garlic, and grated carrots. Meantime, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- Stir and let it cook for a few minutes. Then add the tomato puree and season with Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and rosemary.
- After that add one to two tablespoons of all-purpose flour and mix well. Then pour in the beef broth, mix again and add the frozen peas.
- After about 5 minutes, season with salt and black pepper and turn off the heat. At this point, your potatoes should be done.
- Start mashing the boiled potatoes. Add the butter, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, egg yolk and milk. Season with salt and pepper and stir to a desired creamy consistency.
- Place the meat filling on the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the meat and spread evenly. You can run the fork over the entire surface and give the Shepherd’s Pie a beautiful look (photo above in the text).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. The beautiful golden color of the mashed potatoes will tell you when it’s ready.
- Lastly, when the Shepherd’s Pie is done, let it cool slightly, sprinkle with extra cheese and serve. Bon appetite!
You can also add a glass of red wine before pouring the broth over the fried ground beef.
Flour is added to keep the meat sauce nicely thick after pouring in the broth.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 6 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 475
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Sodium: 862mg
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrates: 39.7g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Protein: 37g
- Cholesterol: 137mg
Keywords: Easy shepherd's pie ground beef recipe, old fashioned shepherd's pie, shepherd’s pie recipe beef, best shepherd's pie recipe ever, best shepherd's pie recipe with ground beef