If you’ve ever had creamy salmon tagliatelle in a good Italian restaurant, you’ve certainly enjoyed it. There is something special, something unique about this recipe. At least that’s how I feel it. But why not prepare a great culinary experience in the comfort of your own home?
You don’t have to go to a restaurant for the best salmon pasta. The recipe may not seem easy at first glance. But the opposite is true. As with many pasta dishes, this creamy pasta with salmon (Pasta al Salmone) is ready very quickly.
How to make creamy pasta with salmon recipe?
The procedure is straightforward and simple. You must choose salmon first. It is best, of course, to buy a fresh one and not a frozen one.
- You can use skinless fillets, which need to be cut into smaller pieces before cooking. You would just season them with salt and pepper and fry them in a pan with a little olive oil.
- Another option is a fillet with skin, which you don’t need to cut into pieces beforehand and can leave the skin on.
If you choose the first option without skin, leave the fried pieces in a pan. Add the butter, onion, garlic to the pan, and then follow the recipe card below.
I usually prepare creamy salmon tagliatelle the second way, when I first pan-fry the salmon fillets, similar to the recipe for crispy pan-seared salmon. In this case, after frying, you need to remove it from the pan and let it rest on a plate for a few minutes.
I feel like the fish leaves more pronounced juiciness this way. After a couple of minutes, the seared skin can be easily removed. Then simply break the salmon into smaller pieces with a fork.
Sautée the onion and garlic in the same pan where you fried your salmon with a little olive oil. Then add the washed and sliced cherry tomatoes. You can also use cocktail tomatoes.
However, only add about 7 cherry tomatoes. We want the taste of salmon to stand out. Tomatoes add a great look to pasta al Salmone.
At this point, you can place the shredded salmon back into the pan and pour white wine over it.
Which type of pasta goes the best with salmon?
Tagliatelle is a clear winner for me! It is my favorite type of pasta. When making fresh homemade pasta, I usually opt for tagliatelle. If you are interested in a fresh pasta recipe, let me know in the comments.
Fusilli, linguine, or penne, which perfectly capture the sauce, are also very good choices for creamy pasta with salmon recipe.
When you cook pasta, always salt the water well. Put the tagliatelle in slightly boiling water and let it cook for a few minutes less than the package says. And for two reasons:
- You want to eat pasta al dente
- After removing them from the pot, they will continue cooking in the pan with the cream for about 2 minutes.
It is important, same as if you are cooking spaghetti carbonara or classic pasta cacio e pepe, to use some pasta water. This helps create a creamy sauce.
Therefore, always keep at least one full glass of pasta water when straining pasta. You can add it gradually until you get a nice creamy texture. However, you can use less pasta water in this recipe because tagliatelle al Salmone also contains cream.
Creamy pasta with salmon = a great recipe for Valentine’s Day
If you want to make your partner happy on Valentine’s Day, don’t hesitate to surprise her (or him) with this amazing salmon tagliatelle recipe.
Pasta, salmon, wine, what better way to set the romantic mood on a Valentine’s Day.
And it doesn’t have to be in a restaurant at all. I guarantee you will enjoy this recipe at home as if you were having dinner at a fine Italian restaurant. And most importantly, you will definitely surprise your sweetheart!
Tips for the best salmon tagliatelle:
- Use good white wine. It doesn’t have to be extra expensive but try to avoid cheap wines. It is said to be cooked with the type of wine you would like to drink as well.
- Lemon zest and lemon juice add wonderful flavor and character to pasta. Add them after adding the pasta into the pan.
- Parmesan. Although some chefs claim that fish and parmesan don’t go well together, for me, parmesan (or pecorino romano) is a must in pasta dishes.
Creamy Salmon Tagliatelle
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
If you try this creamy salmon tagliatelle, it will definitely become your favorite recipe. Easy, fast and absolutely delicious!
- 240 grams of salmon
- 300 g pasta (e.g. tagliatelle)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 90 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 70 ml white wine
- 1 smaller onion
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 1 larger garlic
- 170 ml cooking cream
- 50 g parmesan (optional)
- 1/2 lemon (juice and zest)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- A handful of fresh parsley
- Season the salmon (room temperature) with salt and pepper and fry in a pan with a little olive oil for about 6 minutes (4 minutes skin side down). Then set aside.
- Now the pasta. Bring well-salted water to a boil in a pot and add the tagliatelle. Cook two minutes less than indicated on the package.
- Then add 1 tablespoon butter and finely chopped onion and garlic to the pan (in which you fried the salmon).
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add them together with some tomato puree in a pan. Mix well.
- In the meantime, remove the skin from the pan-seared salmon and shred it with a fork. Place the salmon pieces in the pan and add white wine.
- When the pasta is almost al dente, move it from the pot with a little water straight to the pan. Add the juice and lemon zest and mix.
- Pour in the cooking cream, add the Parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir again and cook for about 2 minutes. Finally, turn off the heat and garnish with fresh parsley.
Use fresh salmon. It definitely has more flavor than the frozen one!
Remove the salmon from the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before cooking.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 3 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 498
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 632mg
- Fat: 20.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 30.7g
- Cholesterol: 134mg
Keywords: creamy pasta with salmon recipe, salmon tagliatelle with cream, tagliatelle with salmon, recipe for creamy salmon pasta, pasta al salmone recipe, tagliatelle al salmone
This recipe looks stunning! Can’t wait to make it on Saturday. Thank you
Thanks a lot, Rosa. Let me know how was it!
I have already cooked the recipe several times. It is our favorite dish 🙂
Thanks Sam, I love to hear that!