I must say that the recipe for creamy chicken Stroganoff is one of my favorites. It is very easy and quick to prepare, which makes it suitable even on working days. But the most important thing is that it is absolutely delicious!
We have chicken Stroganoff at home at least once a month. It doesn’t matter if it’s summer, winter, or spring. When we don’t know what to cook, the conversation between me and my girlfriend often goes like this:
Girlfriend: “What are we going to eat tomorrow?”
Me: “I don’t know, any ideas?”
Girlfriend: “Maybe chicken Stroganoff again?”
Me: “Sure, why not!”
Easy recipe for chicken Stroganoff
As I have already mentioned, the preparation is really simple. The whole recipe takes no more than 45 minutes. In case you’ve already taken the chicken out of the refrigerator.
Whenever you go to cook some meat, leave it outside at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. You can let it rest even longer.
It’s important not to put the meat straight from the refrigerator into the pan (or oven). In that case, it wouldn’t be as juicy and evenly cooked.
I also like that this recipe doesn’t use too many ingredients.
You may already have most of these in your kitchen. In addition to spices, you will mainly need:
- Chicken: You can use chicken breasts, but boneless chicken thighs are great too. I mostly make creamy chicken Stroganoff with chicken breasts as they are more readily available in the city I live in.
I often cannot find any boneless thighs and am sometimes too lazy to remove the bones myself. The chicken breast, for example, is also perfect for the kung pao chicken.
- Onions: I mostly use yellow onions, but red ones are also perfect. If you’re making this recipe more than once, try switching the onions.
- Garlic: It cannot be missing. I even add up to four cloves because I simply love garlic. However, if you’re not a huge fan of this great vegetable, use two cloves.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a must! I like to use chestnut mushrooms in this easy recipe for chicken Stroganoff. If you don’t like mushrooms, I’ll disappoint you. Without them, this recipe won’t be worth it. I would rather recommend this scrumptious chicken with veggies and rice, where you can leave them out.
- Wine and broth: Do not use the cheapest wines in cooking. However, it doesn’t have to be too expensive either.
If you don’t have a homemade broth available, use a bouillon cube.
- Mustard and Butter: I use Dijon mustard. Add unsalted butter so you can control the saltiness of the creamy chicken Stroganoff.
- Sour cream: Very important! Ultimately, it combines all the flavors and creates an excellent creamy texture.
How to make chicken Stroganoff with mushrooms
First, dry the chicken breasts with kitchen paper. Cut into smaller cubes and place in a bowl. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, sweet paprika powder, and a touch of olive oil. You can be generous with sweet paprika. Mix well and let it rest.
While marinating your meat, clean the mushrooms and slice them in quarters. Also, slice your onions and garlic.
Heat olive oil in a larger pan. First, fry the meat for a few minutes until nice golden-brown. Then set aside.
Then sautée the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in the same pan. The fried chicken leaves excellent flavors and oils in the pan that soak up your mushrooms and vegetables. Finally, deglaze everything with white wine.
But don’t forget to add flour beforehand, which will create a nice creamy sauce for your chicken Stroganoff with mushrooms.
How to serve creamy chicken Stroganoff?
I like it very much with pasta. German spätzle, for example, are perfect. They go really well with such saucy dishes. I also use them in this German goulash recipe.
However, you can serve Stroganoff with rice, potatoes, or any kind of pasta. Almost every side dish goes well with this fantastic recipe.
Tips for the best chicken Stroganoff with mushrooms:
- Do not wash mushrooms with water. Simply clean them with kitchen paper.
- Instead of flour, you can also use potato starch.
- If you find the sauce not thick enough, add an extra tablespoon of flour or corn starch. Contrarily, if it is too thick, add more broth or sour cream.
- Dry the chicken with a paper towel. As a result, your chicken will be crispier.
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff with Mushrooms
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Creamy chicken Stroganoff isn’t just a great recipe for the weekend. You can make it easily and quickly during a busy week too. Enjoy Stroganoff with pasta, rice, or potatoes.
- 550 g chicken breast (or boneless chicken thighs)
- 2 yellow onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 300 g of mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 80 ml of white wine
- 250 ml chicken broth
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2–3 tbsp plain flour (or corn starch)
- 50 g butter
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
- 150 ml sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of fresh parsley
- Cut the meat into smaller cubes, place in a bowl and add a pinch of salt, black pepper, sweet paprika powder, and a little oil. Mix and let stand while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In the meantime, let your pasta cook. Bring salted water to a boil and add the pasta of your choice to the pot. Cook according to the packet instructions.
- In a larger pan, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat and add the marinated chicken. Stir-fry until golden brown for about 5 minutes and then set aside.
- Put butter and finely sliced onion in the same pan. After a couple of minutes, add sliced garlic, mushrooms, and thyme. Let it sautée and then pour in the wine.
- When the wine has partially evaporated, put the meat back into the pan. Add mustard, flour, and stir. Pour in the chicken broth and mix well again. Let cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Finally, add the sour cream and mix one more time. Taste for seasoning. Turn off the heat and garnish with some fresh parsley. Serve with cooked pasta.
Creamy chicken Stroganoff with mushrooms can be served with rice, potatoes, or different types of pasta.
Instead of sweet paprika powder, you can also use smoked paprika or a combination of both.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Russian
- Serving Size: 4-5 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 363mg
- Fat: 24.9g
- Saturated Fat: 10.4g
- Carbohydrates: 12.7g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 29.3g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
Keywords: creamy chicken stroganoff, chicken stroganoff with mushrooms, chicken stroganoff with pasta, easy recipe for chicken stroganoff
Yum! Looking forward to try this out!
Looks appetizing! Might try and make these this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!
Thank you, enjoy!
Instead of wine wat can we use❓
Hello Fatema, you can use lemon juice, for example.