I must say that the recipe for creamy chicken Stroganoff is one of my favorites. It is very easy and quick to prepare, which makes it suitable even on working days. But the most important thing is that it is absolutely delicious!
We have chicken Stroganoff at home at least once a month. It doesn’t matter if it’s summer, winter, or spring. When we don’t know what to cook, the conversation between me and my girlfriend often goes like this:
Girlfriend: “What are we going to eat tomorrow?”
Me: “I don’t know, any ideas?”
Girlfriend: “Maybe chicken Stroganoff again?”
Me: “Sure, why not!”
Easy recipe for chicken Stroganoff
As I have already mentioned, the preparation is really simple. The whole recipe takes no more than 45 minutes. In case you’ve already taken the chicken out of the refrigerator.
Whenever you go to cook some meat, leave it outside at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. You can let it rest even longer.
It’s important not to put the meat straight from the refrigerator into the pan (or oven). In that case, it wouldn’t be as juicy and evenly cooked.
I also like that this recipe doesn’t use too many ingredients.
You may already have most of these in your kitchen. In addition to spices, you will mainly need:
- Chicken: You can use chicken breasts, but boneless chicken thighs are great too. I mostly make creamy chicken Stroganoff with chicken breasts as they are more readily available in the city I live in.
I often cannot find any boneless thighs and am sometimes too lazy to remove the bones myself. The chicken breast, for example, is also perfect for the kung pao chicken.
- Onions: I mostly use yellow onions, but red ones are also perfect. If you’re making this recipe more than once, try switching the onions.
- Garlic: It cannot be missing. I even add up to four cloves because I simply love garlic. However, if you’re not a huge fan of this great vegetable, use two cloves.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a must! I like to use chestnut mushrooms in this easy recipe for chicken Stroganoff. If you don’t like mushrooms, I’ll disappoint you. Without them, this recipe won’t be worth it. I would rather recommend this scrumptious chicken with veggies and rice, where you can leave them out.
- Wine and broth: Do not use the cheapest wines in cooking. However, it doesn’t have to be too expensive either.
If you don’t have a homemade broth available, use a bouillon cube.
- Mustard and Butter: I use Dijon mustard. Add unsalted butter so you can control the saltiness of the creamy chicken Stroganoff.
- Sour cream: Very important! Ultimately, it combines all the flavors and creates an excellent creamy texture.
How to make chicken Stroganoff with mushrooms
First, dry the chicken breasts with kitchen paper. Cut into smaller cubes and place in a bowl. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, sweet paprika powder, and a touch of olive oil. You can be generous with sweet paprika. Mix well and let it rest.
While marinating your meat, clean the mushrooms and slice them in quarters. Also, slice your onions and garlic.
Heat olive oil in a larger pan. First, fry the meat for a few minutes until nice golden-brown. Then set aside.
Then sautée the onion, garlic, and mushrooms in the same pan. The fried chicken leaves excellent flavors and oils in the pan that soak up your mushrooms and vegetables. Finally, deglaze everything with white wine.
But don’t forget to add flour beforehand, which will create a nice creamy sauce for your chicken Stroganoff with mushrooms.
How to serve creamy chicken Stroganoff?
However, you can serve Stroganoff with rice, potatoes, or any kind of pasta. Almost every side dish goes well with this fantastic recipe.
Tips for the best chicken Stroganoff with mushrooms:
- Do not wash mushrooms with water. Simply clean them with kitchen paper.
- Instead of flour, you can also use potato starch.
- If you find the sauce not thick enough, add an extra tablespoon of flour or corn starch. Contrarily, if it is too thick, add more broth or sour cream.
- Dry the chicken with a paper towel. As a result, your chicken will be crispier.