An excellent creamy cauliflower soup with sausage and croûtons that will please and warm-up especially on colder days. Some of you may not be a big fan of cauliflower but believe me, cauliflower in the form of soup can be really delicious.
And I have to say, this is one of my favorite soups ever. The pleasant and noticeable taste of cauliflower will really impress you.
As with other soups, creamy cauliflower soup requires a small amount of ingredients. The most important one is of course cauliflower. When choosing a cauliflower, make sure that the head is hard and compact with a nice rich creamy white color.
In addition to cauliflower, we need just basic ingredients such as onions or garlic and vegetable broth (or even water). It is good to use one larger potato, which will provide the required density.
What moves this creamy cauliflower soup to another level are croutons with spicy sausage or salami. I like to use Spanish dried chorizo sausage, which is characterized by its typical distinctive smokiness and spiciness.
The whole preparation of croûtons and chorizo slices is very easy. Simply cut the bread into cubes, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with some olive oil.
Remember that older bread is best for croutons (at least 1 day) – it’s a great way to use an old bread. When the pieces of bread slowly turn into crunchy croûtons in a pan, add the thinly sliced spicy sausage and let it fry for a few minutes until the croûtons have a nice brown-golden color.
Moreover, the croutons will soak the succulent oil from the chorizo sausage and they will become the best croûtons you have ever tasted!Print
Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Sausage and Croûtons
- Total Time: 75 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- 1 large cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 bigger potato
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1,5 L (6 cups) vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bunch of fresh parsley
- 200g chorizo sausage
- 1/2 bread (at least a day old)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim your cauliflower first. Cut the florets into pieces and slice the core thinly.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and toss in the chopped onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add roughly chopped garlic and thyme.
- Add a peeled and quartered potato together with your cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper. Throw in your vegetable stock (or chicken stock). Bring it up to a boil and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your croûtons. Dice your bread, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Fry in a separate pan on low heat until crispy.
- Chop your sausage and fry it in the same pan. You can even do this together with your croûtons while they soak the amazing flavor from the sausage.
- Once the soup is done cooking, remove the pot from the heat and blend the soup using an immersion blender.
- Back on the heat, stir in the heavy cream, and season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with fried sausage, crispy croûtons, and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: cauliflower soup, healthy soup, chorizo croutons