Creamy bechamel sauce, often referred to as the “mother sauce”, is a classic sauce made mainly with flour, butter, and milk. Instead of buying pre-made sauce at the store, it’s easy and quick to prepare it at home in your own kitchen.
- 60 g all-purpose flour
- 60 g butter (unsalted)
- 620 ml whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 of fresh nutmeg
- 50 g Parmesan cheese (optional*)
- To prepare your simple bechamel sauce, start by melting the butter in a small pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, slowly add the flour while stirring constantly (you may want to sift the flour first to avoid lumps). The roux should thicken and become creamy.
- Pour in the milk while stirring continuously. The sauce will seem thin at first, but keep stirring until it comes to a gentle boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly for about 6 to 8 minutes until the béchamel thickens. You can also add some grated parmesan cheese during this time if desired.
- Finally, season with salt, pepper, and freshly grated nutmeg to taste. Once ready, turn off the heat and let the creamy bechamel sauce cool.
*If you decide to add parmesan cheese to your easy bechamel sauce for lasagna, you may need to adjust the consistency by adding a little more milk. This will help to ensure that your sauce remains creamy and smooth.
- Prep Time: 4 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Category: Sauces
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 12 servings , Amount per serving:
- Calories: 85
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
Keywords: creamy bechamel sauce, béchamel sauce recipe for lasagna, how make bechamel sauce, how to use bechamel sauce, simple bechamel sauce